Day One Leadership Community
Mississippi State University is developing a can-do, action-oriented generation like no other...and leadership is its name. Welcome to the Day One Leadership Community, a state-of-the-art program designed specifically for incoming freshman-freshman that want to be a success, are willing to be challenged, and want to make a life-changing difference from the start of university life.
Who is Day One for?
Day One students learn to see the "big picture" and experience how to move forward. They are:
- Students with a keen sense of responsibility. Day One students seek out leadership roles and accept the responsibilities of those roles. They are self-disciplined and understand the importance of organization, communication, and accountability. They take pride in their reputation and the organizations to which they belong.
- Students with a strong character. Students with the willingness to work hard to achieve honorable goals. Day One students are goal-oriented and ambitious. They inspire others to accomplish extraordinary things, and they are motivated to make a difference in their organizations and communities.
Day One Goals
In keeping with Mississippi State's commitment to its tradition of instilling among its students and alumni ideals of diversity, citizenship, leadership, and service; the Day One Leadership Community aspires to the following goals.
THE DAY ONE LEADERSHIP COMMUNITY WILL:
- Recruit a DIVERSE STUDENT BODY to MSU and enrich their APPRECIATION OF DIVERSITY by focusing on the unique opportunity Day One provides for students to develop their leadership potential
- Assist freshmen in their TRANSITION TO COLLEGE LIFE, by fostering a living-learning community in residence halls, providing faculty/staff mentors, and connecting students with campus resources
- Introduce BASIC LEADERSHIP KNOWLEDGE and concepts to better prepare students for leadership roles in life
- Provide students with TEAM-BASED, STUDENT-DIRECTED SERVICE-LEARNING leadership opportunities with community partners
- Address and reinforce student CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY through service-learning commitments
- Expose students to REAL WORLD LEADERS
- Emphasize individual CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND PERSONAL GROWTH
- Encourage student ENGAGEMENT IN LEADERSHIP roles within the university and all aspects of life